Friday, August 23, 2013

Low Paying Writing Jobs - To Take or Not to Take

I have been a freelance writer for some time and one thing I have noticed is there are some clients who understand freelance writing and others just have no clue. A lot of clients (especially online content clients) will hire you at a low rate and tell you that if you love your job, the pay doesn't matter. A lot of work from home opportunities reel people in with this line and it's not only untrue, it's insulting as a freelance writer.

A low-paying writing job doesn't pay my bills and I am a freelance writer for income -- not hobby, that's what my books are for. Yes, I love my job, but do not tell me to take a job that is low pay because of that fact. You're basically telling me my skills, experiences and abilities don't matter. Gee, thanks.


When you're looking for writing jobs, you're going to have low-paying offers and sometimes you need to take them. I have taken plenty of low-value writing jobs as fillers between large projects, to pay some extra bills off, etc. But, lower paying writing jobs are tricky. Believe it or not, the clients who offer the lowest pay often are the most unreliable at paying you! This is because they have such a low budget and are tight on cash, which is why they offer the low job. Then, when the work is done they realize they don't have the money to pay you -- so they just skip out.

If you're looking for writing jobs to work from home, make sure you're getting a quality one. Do so by:


  • Seeing their website -- Is it real? Or a crappy marketing blog?
  • Asking for a deposit of 25 to 50% on the work.
  • Asking for references.
  • Doing an internet search. Myself and other freelance writers have blogs and we often update when people don't pay. I call mine "Bad Eggs" but everyone has their own label for these cheapskates. Either way, Google the client and their business and see what is said. If they're a crappy company with poor BBB ratings, I'd avoid them too.
Some low paying writing jobs have frequent work, meaning you'll get as much as you want. These can be good if you're just starting out as a freelance writer, but they can stifle your skills too. I take a hearty mixture of pay, because there is nothing more stifling than a client who skips the bill. So if it's low pay, but the client is reliable, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment